In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rumney like this:
RUMNEY, a parish, with a village, in the district of Cardiff and county of Monmouth; on the river Rhymney and the coast, and on the South Wales railway, 2¾ miles W N W of Cardiff. Post-town, Cardiff. Acres, 3, 375; of which 1, 160 are water. Real property, £3, 428. Pop., 356. Houses, 75. The property is subdivided. An ancientcamp, surrounded by a fosse, is on an eminence over-looking the river. Building-stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £86. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rumney has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cardiff. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rumney and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rumney, in Cardiff and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rumney".