In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Silverdale like this:
SILVERDALE, a village in Keele parish, and a chapelry partly also in Wolstanton and Trentham parishes, Stafford. The village stands at the terminus of the Stoke and Silverdale railway, 2 miles W by N of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and has a r. station with telegraph, and a post-office‡ under Newcastle, Staffordshire. The chapelry was constituted in 1855. Pop. in 1861, 4,673. Houses, 976. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Wolstanton.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Silverdale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newcastle under Lyme. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Silverdale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Silverdale, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Silverdale".