In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bilton like this:
BILTON, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands adjacent to the Rugby and Leamington railway, 1½ mile SW of Rugby: and has a post office under Rugby. The parish comprises 2,243 acres. Real property, £6,505. Pop., 1,096. Houses, 225. New Bilton forms a suburb of Rugby. Bilton Hall was purchased by Addison, in 1711, prior to his marriage with the Countess of Warwick; appears to have been mainly built about the time of James I., but probably received some additions under Addison; retained some pictures and other objects which he placed in it; was bequeathed by his daughter and heiress to the Hon. ...
John Simpson: and remains in possession of that gentleman's family. Bilton Grange is a magnificent Tudor mansion, erected about 1840, after designs by Pugin; Belonged to Capt J. Hibbert: and was often announced for sale between 1860 and 1865. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £678.* Patron, the Rev. R. O. Assheton. The church is a neat Gothic structure, with graceful octagonal spire. The vicarage of New Bilton is a separate charge, constituted in 1868. Value, £180.* A school has an endowed income of £20, and other charities £71.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bilton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rugby. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bilton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bilton, in Rugby and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bilton".