In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bickenhill like this:
BICKENHILL, a parish in Meriden district, Warwick; on the Northwestern railway and the Warwick canal, 2 miles NW of Hampton-Junction r. station, and 8 SE of Birmingham. It comprises Church, Middle, Lyndon, and Marston quarters; and has a post office under Birmingham. Acres, 3,771. Real property, £6,674. Pop., 744. Houses, 170. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £222.* Patron, the Earl of Aylesford. The church is old but good. There are a chapel of ease, a national school, and charities £6.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bickenhill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Solihull. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bickenhill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bickenhill, in Solihull and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bickenhill".