In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stowe like this:
STOWE, a parish, with three townships and parts of four others, in the district and county of Stafford; 2 miles E of Weston r. station, and 6½ ENE of Stafford. Post town, Stafford. Acres, 5,347. Rated property, £7,734. Pop., 1,267. Houses, 271. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £85. Patron, Mrs. Mould. The church was partly restored in 1866. The parish includes parts of Heywood and Hixon chapelries. There are an endowed school with £17 a year, and charities £16. See Chartley.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stowe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stafford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stowe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stowe, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stowe".