In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanton like this:
STANTON, a township-chapelry in Ellastone parish, Stafford; 2½ miles WNW of Clifton r. station, and 3½ W of Ashborne. Post town, Ashborne. Real property, £1,996. Pop., 403. Houses, 81. The living is annexed to Ellastone. Archbishop Sheldon was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Staffordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanton in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanton".