In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Salt like this:
SALT, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in St. Mary and St. Chad parish, Staffordshire. The village stands on the river Trent and the Grand Trunk canal, near Sandon r. station, and 3½ miles N N E of Stafford. The township includes also the hamlet of Enson. Real property, £2, 795. Pop., 509. Houses, 108. The chapelrywas constituted in 1844. Post-town, Sandon, under Stone. Pop., 808. Houses, 165. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £110.* Patron, the Earl of Shrewsbury. The church was built in 1842; and a national school was built in 1857.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Salt has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stafford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Salt and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Salt, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 15th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Salt".