In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ranton like this:
RANTON, or Ronton, a parish in the district and county of Stafford; on an affluent of the river Sow, 2¼ miles N by W of Haughton r. station, and 4¼ W by N of Stafford. It contains the hamlets of Hextells, Brough-Hill, Long Compton, Parknook, and Woodside; and its post town is Stafford. Acres, 1, 970. Real property, with Coton, £3, 494. Pop., 280. Houses, 58. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lichfield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £93. Patron, the Earl of Lichfield. The church is tolerable; and there is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ranton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stafford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ranton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ranton, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ranton".