In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pentrefoelas like this:
PENTREVOELAS, or Capel-Voelas, a village and a parish in Llanrwst district, Denbigh. The village stands on an affluent of the river Conway, near the boundary with Carnarvon, 8½ miles S S E of Lanrwst r. station; is a resort of anglers; and has a post-office under Llanrwst, Denbighshire. The parish comprises 8, 144 acres. Rated property, £2, 200. Pop., 534. Houses, 95. The property is divided among three. Voelas Hall is the seat ofW. G. Wynn, Esq. Castell-Coch, near V. Hall, was an ancient fortalice, reduced by Llewelyn; and is now represented by an earthwork. An inscribed standing-stone also is there; and is supposed to mark the grave of Llewelyn-ap-Sitsylt, slain there in 1021. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £242.* Patron, W. G. Wynn, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1859.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pentrefoelas has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Conwy. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pentrefoelas and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pentrefoelas, in Conwy and Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pentrefoelas".