In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pentir like this:
PENTIR, a chapelry in Bangor parish, Carnarvon; 2¾ miles S S W of Bangor r. station. It has a post-office under Bangor. It was once a separate parish, and was incorporated with Bangor in 1656. Real property, £2, 663. Pop., not separately returned. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Bangor.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pentir has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Gwynedd. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pentir and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pentir, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pentir".