In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penley like this:
PENLEY, a township-chapelry in Ellesmere parish, Flint; adjacent to Salop, 4 miles N by E of Ellesmere r.station. It ha a post-office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 2,036. Real property, £2, 950. Pop., 382. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. P. Hall is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Ellesmere. The church is good; and there is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wrexham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penley, in Wrexham and Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penley".