In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ogley Hay like this:
OGLEY-HAY, a village, an extra-parochial tract, and a chapelry, in the S of Staffordshire. The village stands on the Wyrley and Essington canal, near Watling-street, and near the boundary with Warwickshire, 4 miles S of Lichfield r. station; and is a prosperous place. The extra-parochial tract includes the village, and extends into the country. Acres, 705. Real property, £2, 394. Pop.in 1851, 518; in 1861, 1, 357. Houses, 258. The increase of pop. was caused mainly by the opening of three large collieries. ...
Traces of a Roman camp, called Knave's Castle, are to the N of the village. The chapelry excludes part of the extra-parochial tract, but includes parts of the parishes of St. Michael, Shenstone, Walsall, and Norton-under-Cannock; and was constituted in 1854. Post-town, Shenstone, under Lichfield. Pop. in 1861, 2, 490. Houses, 476. Pop. of the St. Michael portion, 461; of the Shenstone portion, 105; of the Walsall portion, 229; of the Norton portion, 783. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £170. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was built in 1851; and is a stone edifice, with tower and low spire. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and two national schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ogley Hay has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lichfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ogley Hay and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ogley Hay, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ogley Hay".