In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton Canes like this:
NORTON-UNDER-CANNOCK, or Norton-Canes, a village and a parish in Penkridge district, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to Watling-street, near the S side of Cannock Chase, 1¾ mile E by S of Wyrley r. station, 2¼ N W of the Wyrley and Essington canal, 2¾ W N W of Brownhills r. ...
station, and 5¾ N of Walsall, and has a post-office under Stafford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Little Wyrley and Brownhills. Acres, 4,077. Real property, £17, 599; of which £10,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 968; in 1861, 1, 628. Houses, 290. The increase of pop. rose from the extension of mining operations. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. Hanbury and P. F. Hussey, Esqs. Norton Hall and Wyrley Grove arechief residences; and the former belonged to the Bishops of Chester, and passed to the Aston family. Coal and ironstone abound; and the coal is extensively worked around Brownhills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £330.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1832, at a cost of £1, 220; has a pinnacled tower; and contains an ancient font. A section of the parish, containing a pop. of 783 in 1861, is within the chapelry of Ogley-Hay, constituted in 1854. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £39 a year, and charities £16.
Norton Canes is now part of Cannock Chase district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cannock Chase has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton Canes itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton Canes, in Cannock Chase and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton Canes ".