In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penally like this:
PENALLY, a village and a parish in the district and county of Pembroke. The village stands on the coast, adjacent to the Pembroke and Tenby railway, near Gilton Point, 1½ mile S S W of Tenby; is a pretty place; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Tenby. The parish comprises 2, 567 acres of land, and 265 of water. Real property, £2, 935; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 394; in 1861, 545. Houses, 72. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Barrys and the Bowens. There are hut barracks and a rifle range. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £77. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church standsembowered in trees; is old, cruciform, and good; and contains an altar-tomb to William de Raynoor, of the13th century. The churchyard has an old cross.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penally has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Pembrokeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penally and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penally in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penally".