In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northop like this:
NORTHOP, or North-Hope, a village, a township, and a parish, in Holywell district, Flint. The village stands near Wats dyke, under the Halkin mountains, 3½ miles S of Flint r. station; is a pretty place; is called Llaneurgain by the Welsh; and has a post-office designated Northop, Flintshire, and fairs on 14 March, 7 July, and 12 Oct. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £4, 382; of which £50 are in mines. Pop., 753. Houses, 178. ...
The parish contains also the townships of Caerfallwch, Golftyn, Wepre, Kelsterton, Soughton, Leadbrook-Major, and Leadbrook-Minor, and extends to the estuary of the Dee. Acres, 12, 366; of which 3, 515 are water. Real property, £22, 718; of which £6, 896 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3, 567; in 1861, 3, 657. Houses, 798. The property is subdivided. Highfield Hall is the seat of J. Huntley, Esq.; and Soughton Hall, of J. S. Bankes, Esq. There are lead mines, collieries, potteries, and tile-works; and a railway connects the chief of them with the sea-port village of Connah's-Quay. The lead mines are supposed to have been worked by the Romans; and they now belong to the Grosvenor family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £500.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is later English, handsomely restored in the interior; has a tower of 5 stages, 98 feet high, commanding a fine view; and contains some carving of the 11th century, and stone effigies of Edwyn, a Welsh prince of the 11th century, Ithel Vyshan ap Bleddyn, a knight of the 14th century, and Lleuci Llwyd, a lady famous for beauty in the 15thcentury. The p. curacy of Connah's-Quay is a separate benefice. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed grammar school with £35 a year, an endowed national school with £40, and charities about £90.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Northop has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Flintshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Northop and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northop in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Northop".