In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Nottage like this:
NEWTON-NOTTAGE, a village and a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan. The village stands on the coast, 3 miles S by E of Pyle r. station, and 5 S W by W of Bridgend; and is a decayed watering-place. The parish contains also the sea-port village of Porthcawl, which is at the terminus of the Llynvi railway, and has a post-office under Bridgend. Acres, 3, 877: of which 560 are water. Real property, £2, 275. Pop. in 1851, 959; in 1861, 1,082. Houses, 224. Newton Court is anold Tudor mansion, was restored by the late Rev. ...
H. Knight, and is now the residence of the Rev. E. D. Knight. Newton Downs were recently enclosed, retain traces of the Julian way, and command extensive views over Bristol channel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £412.* Patrons, the Rev. E. D. Knight two turns, and Sir J. B. Guest, Bart., one turn. The church is ancient, and was partially restored in 1862. See Porthcawl.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newton Nottage has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bridgend. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newton Nottage and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Nottage, in Bridgend and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newton Nottage".