Place:


Woodnewton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodnewton like this:

NEWTON-WOOD, a village and a parish in Oundle district, Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 2½ miles W by N of Elton r. station, and 4 N of Oundle; and has a postal letter-box under Wansford. The parish comprises 1, 590 acres. Real property, £2, 594. Pop., 529. ...


Houses, 111. The manor and much of the land belong to the Earl of Westmoreland. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £136. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is ancient; was long a chapel of ease to Nassington; was restored in 1862; and consists of nave, aisle, chancel, and S porch, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £30.

Woodnewton through time

Woodnewton is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodnewton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodnewton in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8359

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodnewton ".