In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whittlebury like this:
WHITTLEBURY, a parish, with a village, in Towcester district, Northampton; 3¾ miles S by W of Towcester r. station. It has a post-office under Towcester. Acres, 2,870. Real property, £3,376. Pop. in 1851, 707; in 1861, 487. Houses, 133. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. W. Lodge, rebuilt in 1867, is a seat of Lord Southampton. Sholbrook Lodge is the residence of R. V. Oliver, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with Silverstone, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £350. Patron, the Crown. The church is early English and good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £17 a year, and charities £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whittlebury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whittlebury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whittlebury in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whittlebury".