In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carshalton like this:
CARSHALTON-pronounced Casehorton or Cayshorton-a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Epsom district,. Surrey. The village stands near the river Wandle and the Epsom railway, 3 miles W by S of Croydon; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under London, S. It was known at Domesday as Aulton; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 2,904 acres. Real property, £14,178. Pop., 2,538. Houses, 492. The property is subdivided. Carshalton Park was formerly the seat of Sir N. ...
Throckmorton, Dr. Radcliffe and the Scawens; and is now occupied by James Aitken, Esq. The parish is watered by the Wandle and its head streams; and has flour, paper, oil, and snuff mills. A spring, overarched with stone, close to the churchyard, is traditionally associated with Queen Anne Boleyn, and bears her name. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £875.* Patron, Albert Cator, Esq. The church is early English, much altered, but in good condition; and contains a remarkable brass of Sheriff Gaynesford, who died in 1490, and three elaborate monuments of last century. There are gas works, a police station, a British school, a national school, an infant school, and charities £58. The subdistrict contains four parishes. Acres, 12,119. Pop., 8,341. Houses, 1,451.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Carshalton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sutton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Carshalton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carshalton, in Sutton and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Carshalton".