In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bury St Edmunds like this:
Bury St Edmunds, parl. and mun. bor., Suffolk, on river Lark, 14 miles E. of Newmarket, 26 miles NW. of Ipswich, and 78 miles NE. of London by rail, 2938 ac., pop. 16,111; 3 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market day, Wednesday; has extensive mfrs. of agricultural implements, and a great trade in agricultural produce. B., with its abbey, was founded by Canute, to commemorate the martyrdom of Edmund, king of East Anglia, in 870. Its Grammar School was founded by Edward VI. Here were born Bishop Gardiner (1483-1555), Bishop Blomfield of London (1786-1857), Sir Nicholas Bacon (1510-1579), lawyer and statesman, and many other eminent men. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament. It sent 2 members till 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bury St Edmunds has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bury St Edmunds and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bury St Edmunds, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bury St Edmunds".