In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowfold like this:
COWFOLD, a parish in Cuckfield district, Sussex; 2 miles E of West Grinstead r. station, and 6½ WSW of Cuckfield. It has a post office under Horsham. Acres, 4, 458. Real property, £4, 884. Pop., 946. Houses, 167 The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £452. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is perpendicular English, with an earlier chancel; and has a magnificent triple-canopied brass of Nelond, prior of Lewes.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cowfold has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Horsham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cowfold and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowfold, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cowfold".