In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clayton like this:
CLAYTON, a parish in Cuckfield district, Sussex; on the London and Brighton railway, 1 mile S of Hassocks-Gate r. station, and 2 SE of Hurstperpoint. It has a post office under Hurstperpoint, and fairs on 5 July and 26 Sept. Acres, 2, 402. Real property, £3, 456. Pop., 863. Houses, 164. The property is divided among a few. Clayton Priory is the seat of the Elwood family. A tunnel of the railway through the South Downs, 1½ mile long, commences a short distance south of the church, and was formed at a cost of upwards of £90, 000. ...
The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Keymer, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, not reported. Patron, Brazenose College, Oxford. The old church is early English, with a round chancel-arch, of quasi-Saxon character. A new church was built in 1863, at St. John's Common, at a cost of £6, 000; is in the decorated English style, and cruciform; and the charge of it is a separate vicarage, in the patronage of the rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clayton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Sussex. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clayton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clayton in Mid Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clayton".