Place:


Yeovil Somerset

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Yeovil like this:

Yeovil, mun. bor., market town, and par., Somerset, on river Yeo or Ivel, 22 miles SE. of Bridgwater, 50½ miles S. of Bristol, and 124¾ miles SW. of London by rail - par., 4056 ac., pop. 9507; bor., 700 ac., pop. 8479; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-days, Friday and Saturday. Yeovil, known at Domesday as Ivel, is an old prescriptive borough. The parish church is a fine cruciform edifice, with a 15th century tower. The woollen trade once carried on has died out, but there is an extensive mfr. of kid and other gloves. Brewing is carried on. Yeovil is a railway centre of some importance.

Yeovil through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Yeovil has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Yeovil and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yeovil in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/831

Date accessed: 30th August 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Yeovil".