In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Chiltington like this:
CHILTINGTON (East), a chapelry in Westmeston parish, Sussex; on a branch of the river Ouse, adjacent to the Lewes and Cuckfield railway, 2¼ miles W of Barcombe r. station, and 4 NNW of Lewes. Post town, Barcombe, under Lewes. Real property, £1, 984. Pop., 281. Houses, 57. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Westmeston, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is plain.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Chiltington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lewes. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Chiltington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Chiltington, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Chiltington".