In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Botolphs like this:
BOTOLPH, or Buttolphs, a parish in Steyning district, Sussex; on the river Adur, 1½ mile SSE of Steyning, and 1 S by E of Bramber r. station. Post Town, Steyning, under Hurstperpoint. Acres, 910. Real property, £932. Pop., 54. Houses, 10. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Bramber, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is very good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Botolphs has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Horsham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Botolphs and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Botolphs, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Botolphs".