In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wansford like this:
WANSFORD, a parish, with a village, in the district of Stamford and county of Northampton; on the river Nen, and on the Stamford and Essendine railway, 2 miles N of the junction with the Northampton and Peterborough railway, 8 miles W of Peterborough. It has a head post-office,‡ two r. stations designated Wansford and Wansford-Road, and a bridge celebrated by Drunken Barnaby, originally thirteen-arched, but partly destroyed in 1795 and rebuilt in 1796. Acres, 469. Real property, £950. Pop., 180. Houses, 31. The manor belongs to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Thornhaugh. The church is ancient.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wansford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Peterborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wansford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wansford, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wansford".