In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopstone like this:
BISHOPSTONE, a parish and a hundred in Lewes district, Sussex. The parish lies on the Newhaven railway, 9 miles SSE of Lewes; and has a post office under Lewes, and a r. station. Acres, 1,937: of which 108 are water. Real property, £1,995. Pop., 322. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £88. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is Norman and early English; has a tower of four stages; was recently restored; and possesses high interest to artists and antiquaries. The Rev. J. Hurdis, author of the "Village Curate," was a native; and his monument is in the church.-The hundred is in the rape of Pevensey; and consists of the parishes of Bishopstone and Denton. Acres, 2,945. Pop., 528. Houses, 108.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bishopstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lewes. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bishopstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopstone, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishopstone".