In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birdham like this:
BIRDHAM, a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex; on Chichester harbour, and on the Arundel and Portsmouth canal, 4 miles SW of Chichester r. station. It has a post office under Chichester. Acres, 1,948; of which 140 are water. Real property, £3,762. Pop., 436. Houses, 99. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £396.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is good; and there is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Birdham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Birdham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birdham, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Birdham".