In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkton like this:
MONCKTON, or ST. NICHOLAS, a parish in the district and county of Pembroke; on the Pembroke creek of Milford Haven, ½ a mile W of Pembroke. It is divided into M. Within and M. Without; and is partly within Pembroke borough. Post town, Pembroke. Acres, 4,629; of which 360 are water. Real property, £6,245; of which £426 are in quarries. Pop. of M. Within, or the part within Pembroke borough, in 1851,877; in 1861,1,011. Houses, 195. Pop. of M. Without, in 1851,668; in 1861,697. Houses, 140. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the extension of government works. The church is tolerable. See PEMBROKE.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Monkton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Pembrokeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Monkton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkton in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Monkton".