In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Keele like this:
KEELE, a village and a parish in Newcastle-under-Lyne district, Stafford. The village stands 1½ mile S of Silverdale r. station, and 2 ½ W by S of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and has a post office under Newcastle, Staffordshire. The parish comprises 2, 579 acres. Real property, £18, 115; of which £12, 000 are in mines, and £200 in iron works. Pop. in 1851, 1, 232; in 1861, 1, 062. Houses, 211. The manor, with Keele Hall and all the land, belongs to R. Sneyd, Esq. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in collieries, ironstone mines, smelting furnaces, and a silk mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Valne, £195. * Patron, R. Sneyd, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1790, and has an embattled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £17.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Keele has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newcastle under Lyme. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Keele and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Keele, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Keele".