In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horton like this:
HORTON, a township and a parish in Leek district, Stafford. The township bears the name of Horton and Horton-Hay; lies near the North Staffordshire railway and the Caldon canal reservoir, 3¼ miles NW of Leek; and has a station, jointly with Rudyard, on the railway. Real property, £3, 215. Pop., 456. Houses, 85. The parish includes also the township of Blackwood and Crowborough; and its post town is Leek, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Acres, 4, 570. Real property, £6, 211; of which £199 are in quarries. ...
Pop. in 1851, 967; in 1861, 1, 046. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J.Antrobus, Esq. Horton Hall and Cliff Park Hall are chief residences. The Caldon canal reservoir lies near the latter, and is 1¾ mile long. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £180.* Patron, J.Antrobus, Esq. The church has a tower, and contains monuments of the Cromptons, the Fowlers, and the Wedgwoods. The churchyard contains the tomb stone of a woman who died in 1787 at the age of 119. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £17.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Horton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Staffordshire Moorlands. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Horton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horton in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Horton".