In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldingbourne like this:
ALDINGBOURN, a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex; 1 mile north of Woodgate r. station, and 4 E of Chichester. It contains the hamlets of Lidsey and Westergate. Post Town, Chichester. Acres, 3,069. Real property, £6,678. Pop., 772. Houses, 162. Aldingbourn House was a seat of the Howards. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £220.* Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is early English, and has a black marble font.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Aldingbourne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Arun. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Aldingbourne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldingbourne, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Aldingbourne".