In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Potterspury like this:
POTTERSPURY, a village, a parish, and a district, in Northampton. The village stands near Watling-street, 1 mile W of the Grand Junction canal, 1½ W of the river Tove at the boundary with Bucks, 2½ N N W of Stony-Stratford, and 3¾ N W by W of Wolverton r. station; and has a post-office under Stony-Stratford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Yardley-Gobion, and comprises 2, 820 acres. Real property, £5, 621. Pop., 1, 710. Houses, 372. The property is divided among a few. ...
The manor, with Wakefield Lodge and much of the land, belongs to the Duke of Grafton. W. Lodgestands in the centre of a woodland, which was formerly Whittlewood forest; and it has a lawn of 500 acres. Onwhich are the kennels of a pack of foxhounds. Yardley House is the seat of Mrs. Franklin. The living is a vicarage in the .diocese of Peterborough. Value, £116.* Patron, Earl Bathurst. The church was restored in 1848, at a cost of about £3,000; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with massive W tower. A cemetery, with a small chapel, is at the S E end of the village. Achapel of ease is in Yardley-Gobion, and was built in 1864. An Independent chapel and a parochial schoolare at Potterspury; and an Independent chapel and the district workhouse are at Yardley-Gobion. The work-house was built in 1837, and has accommodation for 200inmates. The district contains also the parishes of Paulerspury, Wicken, Passenham, Cosgrove, Furtho, Grafton-Regis, Alderton, Ashton, and Hartwell, and twolodges of Salcey-Forest, in Northampton, and the parishes of Wolverton, Calverton, and Stony-Stratford in Bucks. Acres, 22, 401. Poor-rates in 1863, £5, 853. Pop. in 1851, 10, 663; in 1861, 11, 632. Houses, 2, 301. Marriages in 1863, 77; births, 479, of which 24 wereillegitimate; deaths, 215, of which 88 were at ages under 5 years, and 11 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 819; births, 3, 540; deaths, 2, 228. The places of worship, in 1851, were 14 of the Church of England, with 3, 587 sittings; 6 of Independents, with1, 740 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 760 s.; 5 of Wesleyans, with 490 s.; and 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 150 s. The schools were 8 public day schools, with 675 scholars; 10 private day schools, with 285 s.; and 15 Sunday schools, with 1, 405 s.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Potterspury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Potterspury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Potterspury in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Potterspury".