In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Polebrook like this:
POLEBROOK, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Northampton. The village stands 1 mile E of the river Nen, 1½ E of the Northampton and Peterborough railway, and 2 E S E of Oundle. The parish contains also the hamlet of Armston, and is in Oundle district. Post-town, Oundle. Acres, 2, 730. Real property, £3, 324. Pop., 488. Houses, 109. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £420.* Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is partly Norman, partly early English; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with tower and broochspire; and was recently repaired. There is a free school. The hundred contains also 5 other parishes and parts of 3 others. Acres, 19, 840. Pop. in 1851, 5, 596; in 1861, 5, 723. Houses, 1, 154.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Polebrook has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Polebrook and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Polebrook in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Polebrook".