Place:


Peakirk  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Peakirk like this:

PEAKIRK, a parish, with a village, in Peterborough district, Northampton; on the Great Northern railway, adjacent to the river Welland at the boundary with Lincolnshire, 3¼ miles S E of Market-Deeping. It has a station on the railway, and a postal letter-box under Market-Deeping. Acres, 630. ...


Real property, £1, 864. Pop., 246. Houses, 56. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £335.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is partly Norman, partly of laterdates; and has a bell-gable campanile. A chapel of the13th century, in the geometric style, stood in the village; belonged to Crowland abbey; is now a dwelling-house; and has a well-designed E window.

Peakirk through time

Peakirk is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Peakirk itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Peakirk, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8119

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Peakirk ".