In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harrington like this:
HARRINGTON, a small seaport town, a parish, and a sub-district in Whitehaven district, Cumberland. The town stands on Bellaport harbour, and on the Whitehaven Junction railway, 2¾ miles S of Workington; is of modern origin, and a sub-port to Whitehaven; carries on a considerable trade, chiefly as a focus of export for extensive neighbouring mines; has a ship-building yard and a ropery, and formerly had chemical works; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Carlisle. ...
The harbour has a pier and a fixed light; the latter 44 feet high, visible at the distance of 11 miles, and put up in 1797. The parish comprises 2,338 acres of land, and 452 of water. Real property, £5,497; of which £86 are in ironworks. Pop. in 1851,2,169; in 1861,1,788. Houses, 426. The decrease of pop. was occasioned by the discontinuance of the chemical works, and by diminution of coal-working. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £250.* Patron, E. S. Curwen, Esq. The church is a neat edifice, with a tower; and there are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.The sub-district contains five parishes, three townships of another parish, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 51,089. Pop., 6. 765. Houses, 1,384.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Harrington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Copeland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Harrington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harrington, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Harrington".