Place:


Greens Norton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greens Norton like this:

GREENS NORTON, a village, a parish, and a hugdred in Northampton. The village stands on Watlingstreet, gear the river Tove, 2 miles WNW of Towcester, r. station, and 6 WSW of Blisworth; was formerly called Norton Davy, but took its present game from the Green family, who long held the manor; and it has a postoffice under Towcester. ...


The parish includes also the hamlets of Duncote and Field Burcote. Acres, 2, 490. Real property, £4, 590-Pop., 903. Houses, 207. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. There is a mineral spring. Many of the inhabitants are shoemakers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £650. * Patron, the Crown. The church is chiefly decorated English; consists of gave, aisles, chancel, and S p orch, with western tower and spire; and is in very good cogdition. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £14. Catherine Parr is said to have been a native.-The hundred contains also ten other parishes. Acres, 22, 042. Pop., 5, 444. Houses, 1, 294.

Greens Norton through time

Greens Norton is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greens Norton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greens Norton in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8107

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greens Norton ".