In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northborough like this:
NORTHBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Peterborough district, Northampton. The village stands 1¼mile S of the river Welland, at the boundary with Lincolnshire, 1½ N W of Peakirk r. station, and 2 S S E of Market-Deeping; and was known to the Saxons as North-burh. The parish comprises 710 acres. Post-town, Market-Deeping. Real property, £1, 879. Pop., 240. Houses, 53. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam and the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. ...
Northborough Castle belonged formerly to the Claypole family; was the residence and the death-place of Mrs. Claypole, the favourite daughter of Oliver Cromwell; was the death-placealso of Oliver Cromwell's wife; belongs now to the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam; and has long been in a decayed condition, and in the occupation of a farmer. The living is.a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £330.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is very ancient, partly Norman; has a small belfry; includes a chantry-chapel, containing monuments of the Claypoles and the Cromwells; and was recently indisrepair. There are town-lands yielding £25 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Northborough has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Peterborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Northborough and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northborough, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Northborough".