In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton like this:
NEWTON, a parish in Kettering district, Northampton; on the river Ise, 2½ miles E of Rushton r. station, and 3¾ N by E of Kettering. Post-town, Kettering. Acres, 1,050. Real property, £1, 534. Pop., 84. Houses, 20. The manor belonged formerly to Pipewell abbey, and belongs now to the Duke of Buccleuch. The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £40. Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church was originally the private chapel of the Treshams, whose mansion stood adjacent to it; consists of nave, chancel, and S porch, with tower and spire; was restored in the nave, and enlarged by the addition of the chancel, in 1858; has five beautiful stained glass windows, by Clayton and Bell; and contains an alabaster monument of1433 to the Treshams.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kettering. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton, in Kettering and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newton".