In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grindon like this:
GRINDON, a township and a parish in Leek district, Stafford. The township lies between the rivers Manifold and Hamps, 6 miles NE of Froghall r. station, and 8 ESE of Leek. Real property, £2, 726. Pop. in 1851, 236. house, 40. The parish includes also the hamlets of Deepdale, Ford, Hillsdale, and Martinslow; and its posttown is Leek. Acres, 3, 229. Real property, £5, 243. Pop. in 1851, 381; in 1861, 371. house, 70. A small tract is common. Limestone is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £400.* Patron, the Rev. Henry John Stokes. The church was recently rebuilt, and has a tower with an octagonal spire. There are an endowed school, and charities £31.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Grindon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Staffordshire Moorlands. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Grindon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grindon in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grindon".