In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described South Bank like this:
South Bank, vil. with ry. sta. (Southbank), North-Riding Yorkshire, on E. side of mouth of river Tees, 3 miles E. of Middlesbrough; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper; has boilermaking, and iron and steel mfrs.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing South Bank has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Redcar and Cleveland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering South Bank and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Bank, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Bank".