In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gayton like this:
GAYTON, a parish in the district and county of Stafford; near the river Trent and the Grand Trunk canal, 1 mile NE of Weston r. station, and 5 NE of Stafford. It has a post office under Stafford. Acres, 1, 270. Real property, £2, 833. Pop., 249. Houses, 63. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £136.* Patron, Mrs. Mould. The church is good; and there are charities £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gayton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stafford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gayton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gayton, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gayton".