In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Penrith like this:
Penrith.-- market town and par. with ry. sta., Cumberland, on river Eamont, 17½ miles SE. of Carlisle and 282 miles NW. of London, 7587 ac., pop. 9268; P.O. T.O., 3 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Tuesday. In olden times the town suffered much from the warlike incursions of the Scots. It stands on the outskirts of the Lake District, is well built, has a grammar school founded in 1340, and is a prosperous place, chiefly through its market being the centre of a large agricultural trade. By artificial means a great deal of land, formerly waste, has been made highly productive. Near the ry. sta., at W. of town, stands the ruined castle dismantled by the Parliamentarians during the great Civil War. Several interesting antiquities and fine seats are within easy distance of the town.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penrith has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Eden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penrith and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penrith, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penrith".