Place:


Litchborough  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Litchborough like this:

LITCHBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Towcester district, Northampton. The village stands 3 miles S of Weedon r. station, and 5 NW of Towcester; was anciently a fortified town, called Lycanburgh; and was taken by the Saxons in 571. The parish comprises 1,704 acres; and its Post town is Weedon. ...


Real property, £3,482. Pop., 449. Houses, 111. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to W. Blake, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £564. * Patron, the Rev. W. A. Taylor. The church is ancient; was repaired in 1842; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with W tower; and contains an altar-tomb to Sir John Needham. There are a Baptist chapel, an endowed school with £30 a year, and charities nearly £170.

Litchborough through time

Litchborough is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Litchborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Litchborough in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8057

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Litchborough ".