In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Irchester like this:
IRCHESTER, a village and a parish in Wellingborough district, Northampton. The village stands near the river Nen and the Leicester and Hitchin railway, 3 miles SE by E of Wellingborough; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Wellingborough. The parish contains also the hamlet of Knuston. Acres, 1, 980. Real property, £6, 276. Pop. in 1851, 960; in 1861, 1, 168. Houses, 262. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of the railway, and from the discovery of iron stone. ...
The property is divided among a few. Knuston Hall is the seat of W. W. Manton, Esq. Shoemaking and mat making are carried on. There is a Roman camp of 18 acres. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Wollaston, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is early decorated English; has a lofty octagonal spire; and contains a fine carved oak pulpit. There are a Wesleyan chapel built in 1869, a free school, and some charities.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Irchester has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wellingborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Irchester and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Irchester, in Wellingborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Irchester".