In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Houghton like this:
HOUGHTON (GREAT), a parish in Hardingstone district, Northamptonshire; near the river Nen and the Northampton and Peterborough railway, 2¾ miles ESE of Northampton. Post town, Northampton. Acres, 1, 783. Real property, £4, 646. Pop., 365. Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. Great Houghton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £620. * Patron, Mag dalen College, Oxford. The church is an edifice in the Italian style. Charities, £4.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Houghton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Northampton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Houghton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Houghton, in Northampton and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Houghton".