In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dilhorne like this:
DILHORNE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Cheadle district, Stafford. The village stands near the sources of the river Tean, 2 miles WNW of Cheadle, and 3 N of Blyth-Bridge r. station. The parish includes also the township of Forsbrook; and its post town is Cheadle, under Stafford. Acres, 3, 648. Real property, £7, 975; of which £500 are in mines. Pop., 1, 573. Houses, 336. The property is much subdivided. Dilhorne Hall is the seat of the Butlers. Much of the land was formerly heath, but has been reclaimed and planted. ...
Coal, of good quality, is found. The parish is a meet for the North Stafford hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £198.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The church has a Norman octagonal steeple, and is good. The vicarage of Forsbrook is a separate benefice. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Blythmarsh school has £22 from endowment; Wheatacre's school, originally founded in the time of Henry VIII. as a free grammar-school, has £261; and other charities have £9.The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 12, 638. Pop., 5, 070. Houses, 1, 034.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dilhorne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Staffordshire Moorlands. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dilhorne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dilhorne in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dilhorne".