In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horton like this:
HORTON, a parish in Hardingstone district, Northamptonshire; on an affluent of the river Nen, near the boundary with Bucks, 4½ miles S of Billing-Road r. station, and 6 SE of Northampton. Post town, Piddington, under Northampton. Acres, 2, 790. Real property, £2, 032. Pop., 76. Houses, 15. The manor belonged formerly to the Salusburys, the Parrs, the Lanes, the Montagues, and others; and, with Horton Hall, belongs now to the Rev. Sir Henry J. Gunning, Bart. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Piddington, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £98. Patron, the Rev. Sir H. J. Gunning, Bart. The church is decorated English, and was partly rebuilt, partly restored, in 1862. Montague, the first Earl of Halifax, the friend of Addison, Pope, and other literati, was born at Horton Hall.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Horton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Horton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horton in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Horton".