In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colton like this:
COLTON, a village and a parish in Liclhfield district, Stafford. The village stands near the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Trent Valley railway, 1½ mile N by E of Rugeley; and ha s a post office under Rugeley. The parish includes also the hamlet of Lea-Lane and the village of Newland. Acres, 3, 665. Real property, £9, 543. Pop., 629. Houses, 142. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £461.* Patron, the Rev.W. Landor. The church was rebuilt in 1851, but has the tower of a previous edifice. A school has £45 from endowment; and other charities £23.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Colton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lichfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Colton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colton, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Colton".