In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Codsall like this:
CODSALL, a village and a parish in Wolverhampton district, Stafford. The village stands near the boundary with Salop, the Birmingham and Liverpool canal, and the Birmingham and Shrewsbury railway, 5 miles NW of Wolverhampton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Wolverhampton. The parish includes also the township of Oaken; and has two other post offices, Codsall-Wood and Oaken, under Wolverhampton. Acres, 2, 580. Real property, £8, 678. Pop., 1, 204. Houses, 274. ...
Wrottesley Hall here is the seat of Lord Wrottesley. There is a strong sulphurous spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £146. Patron, Lord Wrottesley. The church was early English, with Norman traces; was recently rebuilt, excepting the tower; is now a very beautiful structure; and contains tombs of the Wrottesleys. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £58.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Codsall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Staffordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Codsall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Codsall in South Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Codsall".